Monday 8 September 2014

Kafka: A Critique

Pointless Pointlessism...
Right then! I was given a book a while ago, for which I was very grateful for as it gave me something to put my tea on to stop the table getting a circular stain. Very useful don cha know. 

Nevertheless, for some reason this book had managed to work its way in to my head since it was given to me and I thought I would give it a whirl and stop using it as a tea/matt. The trouble then was what to do with it. I mean you can't have books lying around whilst the table tops are unprotected so I bought some proper coasters for the table.


However, I still had this spare book lying around since I couldn't really think of what else to do with it I thought I could try getting someone to read it for me. Anyway the book was the complete works of Franz Kafka and it was the first time that I had had someone summarise an author's complete opus to me. So after watching the youtube summary this is what Kafka is all about.

In essence his opus is a melange of the themes and archetypes of alienation as his characters are isolated through impenetrable systems. While the the hopelessness and absurdity common to his works are seen as emblematic of the eternal conflict between man and man. Another aspect is the p
hysical and psychological brutality of the parent–child conflict, characters on a terrifying quest, labyrinths of bureaucracy, and mystical transformations and the futility of life's journey seeing as we all have the same ultimate destiny. All things being considered Kafka is regarded as one of the most influential writers of the 20th Century.

Well this may all be very well but when he talks about physical and psychological brutality, hopelessness, terrifying quests, labyrinths and isolation it becomes quite obvious that the man was a servant in a large manor or palace and who wants to read about them?

If I wanted to read about the daily ongoings of my servants I would have asked the bleeders. I mean I pay them don't I? Also psychological brutality is a half truth! They knew full well the rules when I forced them in to signing the contracts. If they didn't like it they shouldn't have allowed me to ship em across the English Channel in the back of a lorry. What were they expecting Utopia?! This is bloody England don cha know! I'm supposed to pay these people minimum wage! It's not easy trying to get away with not paying that, I could get arrested! 

As for physical brutality well I've never laid a hand on any of them! No Sir! I usually use the Mrk VIII K Rhino Whip. Or I set the hounds upon em.

I don't know about you but this man's negativity, naval gazing and Nihilism I find utterly deflating. I mean what's the point getting depressed and heavy? There's no point to it at all, especially when you consider the fact that we're all going to drop dead one day anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment